On Tue Apr 23 2013 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Obviously this clobbers whatever was in bbdb-mua-mode-alist,

Certainly you should not change bbdb-mua-mode-alist, it's defined as
a constant for good reason. But your personal version of
bbdb-mua-window-p could use a different variable that you defined
acording to your needs.

> and while I was hoping the second `or' clause would allow it to
> work for message mode as well, message mode still pops up with a
> vertical split, at the bottom.

BBDB takes the first window from the list of windows returned by the
function window-list for which bbdb-mua-window-p returns a non-nil value.
So your predicate needs to be more specific.