If the autotools-based stuff doesn't work on MSWindows, please report
the details.
That would be a bug, and we should be able to fix it, because
autotools-generated
scripts are intended to work in that environment (given an installed
bourne-compatible
shell, and make), and they are doing nothing fancy here.

If it is an issue of various support programs being necessary (texinfo stuff,
for example), we could try to add options like ./configure --disable-texinfo or
such, and default them to "off" if the support programs are unavailable.

If it is a problem with filenames, that could probably be fixed with appropriate
machinations.  Is it having trouble finding the Emacs executable? That would
be a bug in some m4 macros. Anyway, we should arrange things so autotools
works on MSWindows.

--Barak.