On Fri Jun 16 2017 Angel de Vicente wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is due to upgrading to BBDB 3 or due to the
> other packages that I installed (ivy, counsel, etc.)...

Lots of configuration options have changed from BBDB 2 to 3, see

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UpgradeBBDB

I suggest you first make sure BBDB 3 works for you as expected in an
Emacs session that doesn't load other packages that may override
Emacs' default behavior.  (I do not know what "ivy", "counsel" and
"etc." do.)

Once you got this working you may want to load the other packages,
too.