At 08:02 -0700 on 02/07/2010, le...@gmail wrote about Re: a better auto completion with automatic first letter up:

On 6-Feb-2010, at 19:26, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
The point I was making is that you would be starting a sentence by typing an upper case letter and the correct IMO way for the word you are typing to be completed is to preserve the case you supply (not to figure out what case it should be based on heuristics such as "is this the start of a sentence?"). As is the case with Polish/polish having the program second guess the user is not a good idea (especially if you are typing the works of e e cummings).

Exactly. If I am starting a sentence with iPod or iMac I also don't want the case changed just because it's the start of the sentence.

I was talking about starting a sentence/word with an Upper Case letter and having that Upper Case preserved not automatically changing a lower case first letter in a sentence to upper case due to its position.

It's not a BBEdit solution, but Typenator will do substitutions and preserve case. It will also do substitutions based on case (so bbedit gets changed to BBEdit, for example).

I think the latter is due to it having BBEdit in its dictionary (but not bbedit) so when it sees a word that is spelled the same as a word in its dictionary (but in all lower case while its copy has some upper case) it will replace it. This is the way my spell checker works (it will replace an all lower case word with a mixed case version if that is the only version it has).