On Apr 9, 2010, at 10:47 AM, Charlie Garrison wrote:

> Where are the files located? Are you opening them locally or from a remote
> server?

Ah yes, that's a very good observation. Mine are all local, which might explain
why the folds are preserved for me but not for Stephen.

If one were to access files remotely with, say, an FTP app like Transmit or
BBEdit's built-in FTP client, those files only get saved to a temp dir on the
local machine, typically with funky names to ensure uniqueness. So any state
information BBEdit saves about the file becomes useless once the document is
closed.

I'm not sure about this, but I think Interarchy was a little more helpful in
this regard. Does it save files locally with their actual names intact,
allowing BBEdit to make better use of its saved state info? Maybe someone with
Interarchy installed can confirm or contradict my recollection?

Another option might be to sync copies of the files to the local machine using
rsync, or use the directory syncing facilities in Transmit or Interarchy. Or
simply mount the remote file system with something like ExpanDrive/MacFUSE.

-Dennis