On 2011-08-11, Derrick Peavy wrote:

Used BBEdit since mid 90's and version 4.  Great. But these changes
are killing me.

In prior versions (8 and below I think), when I performed a find (CMD
F), the find usually started at the top of the file. Not anymore.

Check the Wrap Around box at the bottom of the Find dialog. You'll see a visual when the find wraps around to the first instance of what you're searching for.

BBEdit is a language for programmers, so approach what you want like a programmer would:

You can write a simple Applescript to move the cursor to the top of the file, and add it as a menu-triggered script to the Find command. Then whenever you call Find your little script will move the cursor up before the find starts. Check the manual for "Attaching Scripts to Menu Items". There are other ways to do this, but here'a an example:

tell application "BBEdit"
    select first character of text document 1
end tell

Finally, here is a similar Applescript that I use -- not attached to the Find command but instead to jump up to the first instance of what I have selected. I call it with an assigned keyboard combo (Control-F but choose your own).

tell application "BBEdit"
    activate
find text of selection searching in every text of text document 1 options {starting at top:true, wrap around:false, backwards:false, case sensitive:true, match words:false, extend selection:false} with selecting match
end tell

But also annoying is the find dialog box staying on screen until I
close it. I use shortcuts when I write code, so I like having the box
disappear.

Just hit Escape to close the dialog or click in your doc window to put it in front.

   - Bruce

_bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz_ca_