I sent this message to Bare Bones Support earlier this morning, I am
replicating it here for the purpose of general discussion.

Is there a reason why BBEdit does not support arbitrary keybindings for
inserting snippets or autocompletion of text. Moving to BBEdit from Coda,
this was a feature that I made extensive use of and cannot (at least in the
application's default configuration) seem to replicate this behavior.
BBEdit's User Manual specifies that either the Command key or the Control
keys be when creating a shortcut and can only be used along with other
modifier keys (Option, Shift, etc.) when assigning a custom keybinding.
Is this behavior intentional, and if so, what is the reason for it? I would
much rather be able to assign a short name and then be able to press Tab in
order to complete a tag or other block of text.
For example, one could assign "HTML" to the default clipping for an HTML5
doctype and use it to quickly create a base layout for a page. As it
stands, Keyboard Shortcuts (and by extension, Clippings) are of limited use
because they require cumbersome modifier keys in order to activate.
Does Bare Bones have any plans to adopt such a feature in the future? It
would go a long way to encouraging people to make use of keyboard shortcuts
to improve their daily workflow.