Thanks for weighing in on this Rich, always interesting to hear from the
man himself.

It seems like I and the others on this thread do have Emacs or any number
of similarly configurable text editors in mind when we're asking for a
feature like this to be considered. It's very clear that BBEdit is
"opinionated" in a way that Emacs in particular, isn't. The mantra there
(among Emacs users) has long been "If you can do it in a text window, go
right ahead, it's not up to us".

As I've said at times throughout this discussion, it may be (as you point
out) that other things would have to change in order for the keybindings to
be configurable in this way. Coming from primarily a web background, I
don't have nearly enough experience with Objective-C to know if this is the
case, but it  is the best guess I can make at this point.

>From my support emails with Patrick, it appeared initially that this was a
philosophical decision, not driven by technology. However, I realize now
that the reality is a bit more nuanced than that. It would be a welcome
addition at some point, but I wouldn't want that to take away from any
effort to keep BBEdit as fast and reliable as it is.