Watts,

I do agree with you that some of the features we've been discussing have
likely been asked for many times, but Bare Bones is reluctant to add them
for the reasons you mention. I remember trying Textmate several years back
(before having tried BBEdit, had only seen others use it) and finding that
if you go too far in the direction of "context-aware" features, 2 things
happen:

1. Performance suffers.
2. There's too much "magic" going on, and people get frustrated (I want
what I typed to appear on the screen and nothing else, there's no reason to
try to read my mind and "help me" by adding things that I don't always
want).

My motivation for bringing this up is mostly because it's a decision that
was seemingly made not for technical/performance related reasons and unless
I'm missing something, it doesn't seem like it would require that much
effort to configure keyboard  shortcuts to behave in this way.