On 31 May 2013, at 08:06 , Patrick Woolsey <pwool...@barebones.com> wrote:

> First, as a reminder, ePub files are actually Zip archives, and thus all
> related considerations apply.

Right. But the behavior I am seeing is not the behavior I was expecting.

> Thus, when you open a Zip archive, BBEdit will display the files contained
> within that archive in a 'synthetic' project window, and this is also why
> the project can't be saved as a standalone file (since it's based directly
> on the archive).

Right, but I am not trying to do that.

>> ANd if I try to make changes, it won't let me switch to another file
>> in the epub without wanting to save, but of course it is not actually
>> able to save the changes to the epub I am trying to edit.
>
> The first behavior is expected, since BBEdit must incrementally update the
> Zip archive, but BBEdit should indeed be able to save any changes you've
> made.

Hmm. Well, I opened "Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen.epub" by force-dragging
it to BBedit and I get a pseudo project showing a few files, then
Pride_and_prejudice_split_[001-0076].html

I click on one of the html files and I change "Jane" to "Joan". I then click on
the next file in the list.

I get "Do you want to save the changes to "Pride_and_Prejudice_split_005.html"
and if I say "Save" then I am asked where I want to save it to.

Which means that I cannot edit the ePub file as I was expecting. It appears
that I must explode the epub, then I can edit the files as normal, and then I
can try to recreate the epub archive as it's supposed to be, knowing that ePub
is an astonishingly persnickety form of .zip that breaks if you look at it
askance.

--
Battlemage? That's not a profession. It barely qualifies as a hobby.
'Battlemage' is about impressive a title as 'Lord of the Dance'. <PAUSE>