Just got this from Patrick at support:

*Thank you for contacting us, and based on your description, I'm reasonably
certain these hangs are due to an FTP-related problem that we've just
finished investigating.*

*You can download a pre-release build of BBEdit which should correct this
problem as follows:*

*<http://pine.barebones.com/seeding/BBEdit-10.5.9_3369.dmg
<http://pine.barebones.com/seeding/BBEdit-10.5.9_3369.dmg>>*

*so I'd appreciate if you can try this and let me know how it works.*

*Regards,*

* Patrick Woolsey*

I've downloaded and installed it. I'll report back my findings.

To answer the questions:
 - "shut down the editor" meant that the code editor window was closed (red
x) but the FTP navigator windows was still open. Pardon my terminology, I'm
still learning the Mac vernacular.
 - The FTP window didn't appear to be requiring my attention. Although, it
was hung solid at the time. I had been happily working all day with it, and
saving many dozens of times back to the FTP server.
 - If it had been an network glitch, I wouldn't expect the program to hang.
I'd expect an error and it to carry on. I say this now of course with
the benefit of hindsight, having read that they have been tracking down an
FTP bug :)
 - trying local files is a great idea. I hadn't yet used it on local files.
I literally turned on my first Mac a few days ago.
 - I come from Windows, where notepad++ was my chosen daily driver for
text. Before that, I was linux and before *that* I was SunOS, Solaris and
DEC :)

 - checking the console - I didn't know such a thing existed. A quick
check, and I found a bunch of Bbedit errors complaining about
      "Could not open log file at
file://localhost/Users/jake/Library/Logs/BBEdit/FTP.log:
No such file or directory
(sent to tech support as well, just in case)

-J

----
jakehaw...@computer.org
+1 403 991 2276