The secret names should be descriptive enough that people have an idea what they are and if the secret server has a list of name-value pairs one can maintain those easily enough independently.

So never put your passwords in your non-secret files to begin with.

-- Darren Duncan

On 2020-04-10 2:05 p.m., e2o wrote:
Hello!

So, I use BBEdit to write detailed client notes for my IT consulting clients. My company came up with a new format in which we have to keep notes, and in this "improved" standard, passwords cannot be stored in the documentation. (The idea is that rather than passwords, links to items in a secure SecretServer (Thycotic software) will be in the documentation.)

Anyway, I'll be forced to keep my notes in this central repository current, but there is no way I can efficiently work from a remote repository with passwords separate from other content. So I'll have to remove passwords from my text documents regularly, and copy the redacted notes to the central store. I know there is probably dozens of clever ways to tag the passwords and remove them in one simple multi-file replace, but if anyone has a nice workflow they have created to do something similar, I'd love to hear it before cobbling together some hack.

Thanks!

- eric

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need
technical support, please email "supp...@barebones.com" rather than posting here.