On 11/13/2009 08:20 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
 > On 11/13/2009 11:46 AM, Oncaphillis wrote:
 >
 >>    Thanks for the tip. But it still hangs
 >
 > We still need to know where it hangs. If you boot to console mode
(type a 3 on
 > the option line in GRUB), does it boot? If it does not, what is the
last line
 > shown on the console? If your distro shows a splash screen while
booting, get
 > rid of it by typing an ESC after booting starts, or eliminate the
 > "splash=silent" option on the boot line.
 >
 > If the previous boot works, log into your usual account. That should
still work.
 > Next you should type the command startx and immediately press the keys
 > CRTL-ALT-F10. That is hold the CTRL and ALT keys while pressing the
F10 key. The
 > display should shift to the log console. When the computer freezes,
report what
 > you see on the screen. It will not scroll, nor can you save it. Write
it down by
 > hand or take a picture.

  Sorry for not giving the details. I'm using Fedora 11 with 2.6.32-rc7
kernel. I've turned of the splash screen and boot into runlevel 3. The
last line I see is that the distro tries to start up udev -- No oops or
such thing.

I also did the following -- (1) removed the whole /lib/modules/XXX/ tree
and booted into the kernel. (2) Made "make modules_install;depmod -a".
If I do a "modprobe b43" it still freezes without any further message.
Surprisingly if I only remove b43.ko from the module tree it still hangs
on reboot. Looks like a "inter module" problem to me. The only other
modules I hold are arl1.ko, atl1e.ko,atl1c.ko mii.ko and
scsi_wait_scan.ko but the only one being loaded seems to be atl1c.ko

I actually do not have any firmware installed yet and I had a look at
the code ( also I'm not a kernel hacker) and I see that it should bail
out properly if it fails to find (and|or) initialize the firmware. So it
seems to fail quite early.

There used to be a kernel option that makes it extra verbose. What was
that ?

Thanks

Sebastian