On 11/13/2009 08:20 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 11/13/2009 11:46 AM, Oncaphillis wrote:
>
>>    Thanks for the tip. But it still hangs
>
> We still need to know where it hangs. If you boot to console mode (type a 3 on
> the option line in GRUB), does it boot? If it does not, what is the last line
> shown on the console? If your distro shows a splash screen while booting, get
> rid of it by typing an ESC after booting starts, or eliminate the
> "splash=silent" option on the boot line.
>
> If the previous boot works, log into your usual account. That should still
> work.
> Next you should type the command startx and immediately press the keys
> CRTL-ALT-F10. That is hold the CTRL and ALT keys while pressing the F10 key.
> The
> display should shift to the log console. When the computer freezes, report
> what
> you see on the screen. It will not scroll, nor can you save it. Write it down
> by
> hand or take a picture.
>
> Report what happens. If some of these steps don't work on your computer,
> please
> tell what distro you are using.
>
> Larry

  So now I've stripped down the kernel quite a lot and added as many
debug options that seem to make sense to me. No ACPI at all and no
network device driver except for b43, including low eneregy optins,
and PIO mode. If I leave out the b43 driver the kernel boots just
fine. If I include it I get the following on the screen:

   http://oncaphillis.net/IMG_0214.JPG

So it seems to me it doesn't even reach the loading of p43.ko
but gets stuck in the cfg80211 layer.

Any further hints how to proceed in debugging this.

Sebastian