>An easy intro to BD is available through Dave Robison's site at
>www.oregonbd.org

By the way, it's the Oregon BD chapter site, I just run it -- there are
other contributors. Here's part of the intro.

============================
Introduction -- What is Biodynamics?
Biodynamics is an approach to agriculture based on a concept of life
forces. These forces work in nature to bring about balance and healing.
Biodynamic agriculture uses a philosophical model articulated in eight
lectures given in 1924 by Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925), an Austrian scientist
and philosopher. Steiner delivered these "Agriculture Course" lectures in
response to observations from farmers -- that soils were becoming depleted
and that the health and quality of crops and livestock were diminishing
following the introduction of chemical fertilizers. Thus, biodynamic
agriculture was the first "organic" or ecological farming system to develop
as an alternative to chemical agriculture.

Biodynamics combines "biological" agriculture with an understanding of
"dynamic" ecological systems. If there is a "conventional" school of
organic agriculture today, it practices "biological" farming. For example,
it uses cover crops and manure to build the microbiology of the soil. The
"dynamic" part of the practice takes a broader perspective to enhance
metaphysical aspects (the life forces) and natural rhythms (such as
planting seeds during certain lunar phases).
As an analogy, consider an alternative form of medicine. Chinese
acupuncture represents an intricately detailed philosophy and practice for
which we have no equivalent in conventional medicine. Acupuncture
recognizes a subtle energy -- chi or life force -- that pervades our bodies
and influences our health. Acupuncture is able to mobilize those healing
forces in ways that defy explanation by to Western medicine. The test is
not whether the concept of acupuncture is "true" according to Western
medical standards, but whether it works. For certain conditions,
acupuncture works better than anything in Western medicine.

Similarly, biodynamics is concerned with chi or life force -- this time in
the practice of using those forces beneficially in agriculture. In this
sense, biodynamics has been described as a spiritual or mystical approach
to agriculture. Steiner was very concerned that his system should be
distinguished from mere superstition or dogmatic belief. To this end,
Steiner advocated a scientific process of testing hypotheses as well as
meditative insight. This makes biodynamics an on-going process in which the
community of practitioners actively exchange ideas and refine their
understanding.

Using a systems ecological approach, biodynamics sees each farm as an
organism, a self-contained entity with its own individuality. Thinking
about the farm as ecosystem leads to holistic management practices. These
include integrating crops with livestock, recycling nutrients, maintaining
soil, enhancing the health and wellbeing of crops and animals and even the
farmer too. In this sense biodynamics shares concepts with permaculture --
humans have a role as the designer of the ecosystem.

However, in considering natural forces biodynamics introduces a different
focus than other organic gardening schools of thought. Biodynamics
parallels organic farming in many ways - especially with regard to cultural
and biological farming practices - but it is set apart by its emphasis on
chi or life energy. Biodynamic practices seek to balance the physical and
non-physical realms, acknowledging cosmic and terrestrial forces that
influence life energy. It is this complicated metaphysical terminology that
makes biodynamics hard to grasp, yet these concepts are part of the
biodynamic understanding of how living systems work.

The following table adopted from Steve Driver summarizes some organic
farming practices. Biodynamics includes the same practices as
"conventional" organic farming but adds its own group of special practices.

Organic and Bio-Dynamic Farming Practices
Conventional Organic Practices                  Special Biodynamic Practices
Green manures, cover cropping                   Special compost preparations
Tillage and cultivation                         Special sprays
Composting                                      Planting by calendar
Companion planting                              Peppering for pest control
Integration of crops and livestock              Subtle forces - homeopathy,
dowsing, radionics

Sherry Wildfeuer describes some of the basic principles of biodynamics:

Broaden Our Perspective
Just as we need to look at the magnetic field of the whole earth to
comprehend the compass, to understand plant life we must expand our view to
include all that affects plant growth. No narrow microscopic view will
suffice. Plants are utterly open to and formed by influences from the
depths of the earth to the heights of the heavens. Therefore our
considerations in agriculture must range more broadly than is generally
assumed to be relevant.

Reading the Book of Nature
  Everything in nature reveals something of its essential character in its
form and gesture. Careful observations of nature -- in shade and full sun,
in wet and dry areas, on different soils, will yield a more fluid grasp of
the elements. So eventually one learns to read the language of nature. And
then one can be creative, bringing new emphasis and balance through
specific actions.

Cosmic Rhythms
The light of the sun, moon, planets and stars reaches the plants in regular
rhythms. Each contributes to the life, growth and form of the plant. By
understanding the gesture and effect of each rhythm, we can time our ground
preparation, sowing, cultivating and harvesting to the advantage of the
crops we are raising.

Plant Life Is Intimately Bound Up With the Life of the Soil
Biodynamics recognizes that soil itself can be alive, and this vitality
supports and affects the quality and health of the plants that grow in
it.                       Therefore, one of Biodynamics fundamental efforts
is to build up stable humus in our soil through composting.

A New View of Nutrition
We gain our physical strength from the process of breaking down the food we
eat. The more vital our food, the more it stimulates our own activity.
Thus, Biodynamic farmers and gardeners aim for quality, and not only
quantity. Biodynamics grows food with a strong connection to a healthy,
living soil.

Medicine for the Earth: Biodynamic Preparations
Rudolf Steiner pointed out that a new science of cosmic influences would
have to replace old, instinctive wisdom and superstition. Out of his own
insight, he introduced what are known as Biodynamic Preparations. Naturally
occurring plant and animal materials are combined in specific recipes in
certain seasons of the year and then placed in compost piles. These
preparations bear concentrated forces within them and are used to organize
the chaotic elements within the compost piles. When the process is
complete, the resulting Preparations are medicines for the Earth which draw
new life forces from the cosmos.  Two of the Preparations are used directly
in the field, one on the earth before planting, to stimulate soil life, and
one on the leaves of growing plants to enhance their capacity to receive
the light.

The Farm as the Basic Unit of Agriculture
In his Agriculture course, Rudolf Steiner posed the ideal of the
self-contained farm -- that there should be just the right number of
animals to provide manure for fertility, and these animals should, in turn,
be fed from the farm. We can seek the essential gesture of such a farm also
under other circumstances. It has to do with the preservation and recycling
of the life forces with which we are working. Vegetable waste, manure,
leaves, food scraps, all contain precious vitality, which can be held and
put to use for building up the soil if they are handled wisely. Thus,
composting is a key activity in biodynamic work. The farm is also a
teacher, and provides the educational opportunity to imitate natures wise
self-sufficiency within a limited area.

Economics Based On Knowledge of the Job
Steiner emphasized the absurdity of agricultural economics determined by
people who have never actually raised crops or managed a farm. A new
approach to this situation has been developed which brings about the
association of producers and consumers for their mutual benefit. The
Community Supported Agriculture movement was born in the biodynamic
movement and is spreading rapidly. Gardens or farms gather around them a
circle of supporters who agree in advance to meet the financial needs of
the enterprise and its workers, and these supporters each receive a share
of the produce as the season progresses. Thus consumers become connected
with the real needs of the Earth, the farm and the Community; they rejoice
in rich harvests, and remain faithful under adverse circumstances.

Dave Robison