----- Original Message -----
From: Hugh Lovel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: Plant brix testing

> Dear List,
>
> I realize I'm entering this discussion a bit late.
>
> Brix can be very revealing. But it is a bit more complex than just "High
brix equals high sugar and good taste with insect and disease resistance."

> Brix is a measure of dissolved solids, not all of which are sugars by any
means. Salts and amino acids enter the picture for starters. High brix in
the morning generally indicates the plant has not translocated its sugars to
its roots and shed them to the soil overnight, feeding the soil food web.
This, believe it or not, is highly desirable. If the plant does this it gets
the soil food web stoked up and cranking out highly elaborated nutrients.
Probably the most important of these are complex amino acids. If the plant
gets its nitrogen as amino acids instead of nitrogen salts the assembly into
proteins in the cells becomes rich and full blown as there are no nitrogen
salts to interfere. Then one gets plenty of long chain aminos. That's mostly
where the great flavor comes in for people. But for insects with their more
rudimentary digestion they greatly prefer short chain aminos and can't
digest the long chain stuff. So they leave such plants alone.

> If you have (relatively) high brix in the morning, then this is
undesirable. Almost surely it means boron deficiency, as the plant would
otherwise respond with adequate boron by translocating its carbon fixings
(mostly sugars) to the roots at night--what Elaine Ingam calls carbon
shedding.

> When a plant sheds carbon compounds abundantly at its roots it really
grows like gangbusters. If you can get this going well enough you can grow
corn as a soil improvement crop without fertilizer while getting superior
(in every way) yields. With a BD program that's really clicking this is
nearly a cinch. Horn clay, however, is a must.

> High brix in the afternoon means your plant has been building an abundant
inventory of sugars during its daytime photosynthesis. That's great stuff,
of course. But take care to consider what time of day you take your reading.

> Also, sometimes plants will send their sugars to the roots in the
afternoon if the barometer drops enough, anticipating a severe thunderstorm.
If you take your reading just before such an event and get low brix, you
have a healthy, with-the-program plant that has adequate boron despite the
low reading in the afternoon.

> So use your refractometers intelligently. They are great tools, and
probably the quickest way to evaluate low boron (which may be occurring in
more than 70% of crops in the US).

> Best,
> Hugh Lovel

Thanks for another great post Hugh . All the stuff I forgot to mention and
points to the importance of keeping good records for test results , weather
conditions , time of day etcetera until we are familiar with the rythm of it
all
cheers
Lloyd Charles