Title: Re: Plant brix testing
Hugh, here is a simple
site on C-3 & C-4 respiration.
http://www.ultranet.com/~jkimball/BiologyPages/C/C4plants.html
The basics: onC4 Plants

Several groups of angiosperms have developed adaptations which minimize the losses to photorespiration. They all use a supplementary method of CO2 uptake which forms a 4-carbon molecule instead of the two 3-carbon molecules of the Calvin cycle. Hence these plants are called C4 plants. (Plants that have only the Calvin cycle are thus
C3 plants.)

    Many grasses/ C4 plants have structural changes in their leaf anatomy so that
their C4 and C3 pathways are separated in different parts of the leaf with
RUBISCO sequestered where the CO2 level is high; the O2 level low

The details of the C4 cycle

      After entering through stomata, CO2 diffuses
      into a mesophyll cell.
             Being close to the leaf surface, these
             cells are exposed to high levels of O2,
             but have no RUBISCO so cannot start
             photorespiration (nor the dark
             reactions of the Calvin cycle).
      Instead the CO2 is inserted into a 3-carbon
      compound (C3) called
      phosphoenolpyruvic acid (PEP) forming
      the 4-carbon compound oxaloacetic acid
      (C4).
      Oxaloacetic acid is converted into malic acid or
      aspartic acid (both have 4 carbons), which is
      transported (by plasmodesmata) into a bundle
      sheath cell. Bundle sheath cells
             are deep in the leaf so atmospheric
             oxygen cannot diffuse easily to them.
             often have thylakoids with reduced
             photosystem II complexes (the one
             that produces O2).
             Both of these features keep oxygen
             levels low.
      Here the 4-carbon compound is broken down into
             carbon dioxide, which enters the Calvin cycle to form sugars and starch.
             pyruvic acid (C3) - which is transported back to a mesophyll cell where it is converted back into
             PEP.

These C4 plants are well adapted to (and likely to be found in) habitats with

      high daytime temperatures
      intense sunlight.

Some examples:

      crabgrass
      corn (maize)
      sugarcane
      sorghum

--------
so its the daytime nighttime respiration shift that I was considering in the Q's.

Thanks for the A's

In Light & Love
Markess