<from Michael Smith>

Please FWD:

Dear Hugh, Jose, etal,

I'm a little confused.  In my memory, one of the
Albrect saying was; "Lime, lime and no manure, make
the father rich and the son poor", which is basically
showing how easily lime sucks up and burns organic
matter content.

To open up another can of worms, Dr Carey Reams
suggested that calcuim at times measures less than 40
ergs at certain times of year and more than 40 at
other times.  Perhaps this is related to calciums
ability to absorb other elements?  Whew, what a diet!

Here in the SE what we seem to have a problem with is
that calcium disappears so quickly from the soil
complex.  Based on this ag agents are quick to give
advice on liming in total disreguard of the ca:mg
ratio.  So what are we left to do?

The way I seet calcium is that it is extremely mobile
in the soil complex.  This leads to the larger
question of how we might be able to get the calcium in
a form that will have a greater life expetancy than
those purchased in mineral form; dolomitic, gypsum,
lime hydrate, etc..  Why one time I even got some
calcite and crushed it down to a powder to stir and
spray for its young form.  Why?  At that point I was
convinced that calcium that plants could use came to
us in the form of rocks.  This was until I
happen-chanced on an article concerning cork.

Cork is produced by removing the bark of Quercus Suber
L., an oak every 20 years or so somewhere around
Summer Solstice.  I don't know the entire process but
the first step in production is boiling to remove the
oak bark tannins.  Well to make a long story short,
the bark of this tree is highly polymorphic and forms
bond that shuts out oxygen; the primary reason for
using cork stoppers in wine bottles - to keep out
oxygen and prevent the wine from turning to vinegar.

I brought this up due to Steiners' using the bark of
the Quercus Ruber oak.  If I remember correctly, ash
analysis revealed a 72% calcium level.  Perhaps this
bark is a living, younger form of calcium.

Jose, I hope you will keep this in mind since you are
translating an article into Portuguese and since that
quite a bit of the worlds production of cork comes
from Portugul and the Azores. There may be something
more in this mobility of calcium than meets the eye
that can be found in current chemical formulations.

The Albrect Model is just that = a model.  A gauge to
go by, a measuring stick.  The key word though is
balance.  A method of balancing.  I think that many of
Albrects ideas were based primarily on his local
experiance based there in Missouri.  Sometime I got
the impression that Albrect was trying to challenge
people into thinking about their own local conditions.

Michael.

<I haven't read the Goldstein article, but I've talked
with Walter on this topic on other occasions.

First I'm surprised if Walter referred to Magnesium as
a monovalent cation. It is in the IIa family of
elements along with calcium and is Mg++. Walter
surely knows this as he earned a doctorate in
agriculture at Pulman University in eastern Washington
state. That's a very good ag college, I might add.

In Wisconsin where Walter founded the Michael Fields
Institute there has long been a debate whether the
Albrecht model is valid or not. Writers in such
journals as Hoard's Dairyman commonly advise farmers
to apply whichever lime is cheapest and disregard the
Ca/Mg ratios. And Wisconsin soils commonly are what is
considered high magnesium. A ratio of 2 parts CA
to 1 part Mg is not too uncommon. Still farmers in
that state get high corn yields regardless that by
Albrect model standards they have far too much mag.

The Albrecht model seems to apply less and less the
more alive a soil is. Where the soil is alive the corn
seems to get all the calcium it needs from the
micro-organisms sifting it out for the corn plant.
With a good BD program this probably works at near
optimum levels, though I don't know that anyone has
done meticulous research on this.

The main debate, however, centers around cost. Who
wouldn't follow the Albrect model, even if it is
unproven, if only it was cheap? But it is not cheap to
load vast quantities of calcium into 100 or 1,000
acres of corn land. It gets real spendy real fast. So
if one can leave the ratios alone and just apply
Steiner remedies, especially if they are applied with
field broadcaster, this has a lot of appeal. Not that
Walter would ever use a field broadcaster, which he
considers "Ahrimanic." But his advice in general is to
go for economy in fertility inputs. It's not so hard
to see where he is coming from.

As for the article, well, I haven't read it and can't
talk about it. (Dave, can you send me a copy?)

While I respect the Albrecht model and think it should
be considered when one is talking about fertility
inputs, there is debate about it and it is not set in
concrete as sacred agricultural writ.

Best,
Hugh Lovel>

>I have glanced the article which was kindly sent
>to me by Dave Robinson or the
>Walter Goldstein's article from Sept Biodynamics
>" Cation Balancing : Is it beneficial or Bogus ?"
>It came to me as a surprise because I had this
>magazine in high respect. To my knowledge they donĄt
>have any one to review the articles otherwise they
>would not allow such a bunch of crap like that to be
>published . Here is why. >Page 30 First paragraph. "
>The effect of calcium ( a divalent cation) in
>stabilizing structure is not as strong as that of
>iron ( a trivalent cation) but it is stronger than of
>magnesium ( a monovalent cation)" (sic).
>Is  Mr Goldstein an iliterate person or is he a
>misinformed person ?
>How can a magazine such as Biodynamics allow low
>quality material to be printed ?
>Not only the article is full of bad information but
>this person did not do his home work properly.
>Mr Goldstein who has no knowledge on The Albrecht
>Model ( I know that because his level of doubts are
>the ones from a person who has not readed the 4
>volumes of The Albrecht Papers or at least the >book
"Hands-on-Agronomy or any other book from Dr >Ardensen
like "Science in Agriculture" or even
>"The Anatomy of Life and Energy in Agriculture")
>tried to write about the Albrecht Model which was the
>culmination of a life time of teaching and research
of
>one of the best person United Stated has ever
>produced. He based his article only in an interview
>done with Neal Kinsey after one of his speaches at
>Acres USA.
>He hasnĄt got a clue. The Albrecht Model today is
>recognized by all major consultants in Eco
Agriculture