Hi Christiane and List,

I believe that Mr Goldstein have lost one great opportunity
when it comes to comment the so called Albrecht Model.
The Model is good in my oppinion and it works. However,
I cannot accept that in all the world with plenty of good labs
only two labs are capable of doing the job.
I know that there is that variability among labs but it does not get
into my mind that only two guys in the world are capable of analysing
soils and giving recommendations like the idea that is officially sold
by Kinsey.

Jose

Jose, and other contributors to the CEC debate

Jose, Mr Goldstein and many other authors, scientists are not saying that
Albrecht was wrong.  They are saying that 'soils ain't soils', meaning the
correct formula for the interaction of climate-soil-plant at one locality of
the
globe might not be the ideal formula at another locality.

Perhaps Albrecht never claimed that his formula is ideal for every spot on
the
earth?  And it is only the marketing of the few private laboratories who use
his
formula for fertiliser recommendation who do that?

I posed the original question and I got lots of answers.  Thanks to everyone
who
contributed!
I conclude that Albrecht's concept of looking at soil management and
fertilisation ought not to be discarded, but balanced with local and crop
conditions and the other concept of supplying the crops needs with
fertiliser.
In practice it means for me that, when a soil laboratory tests my soil and
comes
up with fertiliser recommendations, I want to know which concept they used
so
that I can put their recomendation into the context of my management
strategy

Christiane