Dear Jasminka,

Is there a time to burn ?
I would say : Never.
I know it takes more time but cutting what you dont want
by any mechanical mean is a more inteligent decision.
The cutted plant will dry down and decompose forming a mulch
that will retain moisture and create a hospitable place for microbial
life.
Burning should be avoided at all times.

Jose

-----
Hello all

I am sorry if what I send is a trivial queastion, but I don't have the exerience from which I would come to decision. So, please help.

I have bought a piece of land (3 acres, hill, Croatia - continental climate) that has been untouched for 4-7 years.
South-eastern side has been under corn as monoculture (conventional agriculture for 10 years) - today lots of grass, and slowly developing bush (sorry, don't know the name in english)

Nort-western side - long time ago there has been

1. one part orchard
 Today some trees under all overgrown in lots of wild raspberies and different weed, and dogwood (thick bush 10 yards by 10 yards) and wild rose (rosa canina)

2. one part garden (today in fern and thick dogwood)

Also, there are lots of wild strawberries that I can see on borders to neighbours.
This all is so overgrown that it is hard to walk through.

Local folks sugest that we should burn everything to be able to work on land (gardening mainly). I think that this is not a good idea, but I don't know.
Can you give me opinion on that? Is there a time to burn it when it would only clear up the fern and not hurt plants like wild raspberies and roses. Will yarrow and burdock grow again if we burn the ground?

Thank you
Jasminka