Really this is well established and 'old news', tell your paleo-agronos to
emerge from the mists and do their homework:

Raven, Biology of Plants, 1986, p 526:

Mycorrhizae and Plant Nutrition

"Nutrient uptake from soil by most higher plants is greatly enhanced by
naturally occurring mycorrhizal fungi associated with their root
systems....Mycorrhizae are especially important in the absorption and
transfer of phosphorus, but the increased absorption of zinc, manganese and
copper has also been demonstrated. These nutrients are relatively immobile
in soil, and depletion zones for these nutrients quickly develop around
roots and root hairs. The hyphal network of mycorrhizae extends several
centimeters out from colonized roots, thus exploiting a much larger volume
of soil more efficiently.....In addition to this physical increase in
absorptive surface area, mycorrhizal fungi may also be able to extract
phosphorus from more dilute soil solutions and *utilize sources of
phosphorus normally unavailable to plants*."

It is a sign of our times that we don't realize that mycorrhizae are
normally present and that only our abnormal activities, such as strip
mining, use of chemicals, fungicides, fumigants, etc, makes the statement
'normally unavailable to plants' have any meaning, but there you go....

A Google search for microbe soil nutrient availability, especially for
phosporus, will give you plenty of hits to take to the agronomists. By the
way, there are plenty out there who just push the chemicals, eh?

Still, remember to be diplomatic....

Frank Teuton