Hi! Pam,
I can't comment on local prices. But dairy breeds do not produce beef. In other words,
the meat of these animals is not the sort of thing sold in butcher's shops. In
Australia they are nor regarded as being worth the feed needed to raise
them. But different countries have different table needs. France for an instance, has
a special use for young milk breed calves through to vealers. Before the current
embargo's on movement of animals from the UK, a Welsh farmer contact used
to get a very useful sales of his dairy cull steer calves to France, but is now using
them for dog meat as there is no market in the UK for this class of animal. In Oz we
eat very little beef veal and no dairy veal, mostly growing beef breeds
to yearling or beyond. Dairy breed meat is mostly lost into pet meat and the like. It
does not make worthwhile mince or sausage, as it is "watery" and lacks the fibre
structure we expect in beef. If you are going to raise and kill the meat
for your own use, that is one thing, but if intending to sell into the commercial meat
market, get advice from a buyer or agent first.

I would track down a stock agent and ask for advice on what breeds are suited to your
situation, what prices to buy, period and costs to get to marketable size and likely
return.

Do you have cattle yards, loading ramp, vet equipment etc? Or is there a contractor
who can provide this service. Ask the agent. It may cost several year profits just to
get set up to have animals on the land. On small properties it may be
worth considering miniature breeds, as they tend to be more easily handled and require
less expensive yards. One of our Permaculture members has started changing over and
except for high initial stock costs, they seem to be performing quite
well. As he breeds up females, he is quitting the conventional beef animals.

Regards

gil