Just a few more thoughts from a rebel of a different kind:

Lloyd, will you look at what you're saying? Bearing in mind that Oz is
the driest continent on Earth and that before white settlement 200 years
ago the native flora and fauna which had adapted to climate conditions
over millions of years coexisted quite happily with the indigenous
population?

The first thing 'we' did was introduce hoofed animals to a country that
had none. Also rabbits, domesticated dogs and cats. Next it was European
'heavy soil' methods of farming in a mostly 'fragile soil' country. When
the soils failed to match up to or reduced below  product expectations,
we introduced superphosphates followed 30 years later by a fearsome
array of artificial fertilisers, herbicides, pesticides and straight-out
poisons.

'The local natives are not up to it anymore' BECAUSE we have 'seriously
modified the ecosystem'. One of our most damaging 'modifications' has
been to remove nearly all the organic content from soils through 200
years of successive harvests without replacing it. Commonly known as
'mining the soil'. I am willing to bet there isn't a working property on
the inland grain belt that has soil with an organic content above 1%.
Native grasses are naturally moisture retentive; imported species have
little if any retention qualities, die out during droughts. Eucalypts
and other native trees have leaf systems and life cycles which are
attuned to local conditions. Imported species do not, are not, 'do quite
ok' by taking up groundwater which could be used in better ways - like
stock watering.

As for sheep and goats being a danger to new tree growth - fence them off .

In a nutshell:

In 1788 Oz had low water tables and no salinity, no blue-green algae, no
e-coli, unpolluted river or lake systems.
We imported animals trees and plants which shouldn't be here; changed
the ecosystem so they would flourish.
In 2002 we have high water tables, salinity, river systems and lakes
which abound in algae, e-coli, oils, chemicals and every other pollutant
you care to name. The soil has so much phosphate locked up in it you
could almost cut it up in blocks and sell it.

Is there a lesson here, d'you think?

roger