----- Original Message -----
From: Robin Duchesneau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 6:29 AM
Subject: Re: Wood chips

> Liz, Sstorch, Roger, Lloyd, and all,
>
> Pedogenesis under Australian eucalyptus is very similar to that of
conifers.
> As such, eucalyptus has inherited some evolutionary aspects that have left
> them with lignin that has an asymetrical structure with aromatic rings
> composed of a single methoxyl group that, under bacterial digestion,
> releases polyphenols, terpens, ..., that inhibit that action of certain
> lipase's.   In other word they have evolutionary mechanism that helps them
> fight vegetation competition.

Hi Robin
              Spot on again!  If you get to know the eucalypts a little it
quickly becomes apparent that this ability to suppress competing vegetation
is much more highly developed in the mallee type trees that grow in the
alkaline sandy soils of South Australia and Western Australia and moreso
again when you plant them outside of their natural habitat - the dry area
eucalypts also have a surface root system that extends many times the canopy
diameter - some big trees in our country will drain moisture from well over
50 metres from their base
              Most Australians would not share your concern over the use of
eucalyptus sawmill waste - in our area redgum woodchips are one of the most
popular garden mulches - used by home gardeners and many municipal
authorities in parks and gardens - my problem with this is the potential of
this material to encourage white ants (termites) they love the stuff! We use
Aussie cypress pine sawdust in our garden beds and contrary to expert
opinion it has done a great job. ( this may interest Liz Davis)
Cheers all
Lloyd Charles