Hi! Liz,
I think you are on track with the issues on Reveg down under. Over much
of Oz
we have alkaline soils in the current land use. As you would know, most
land
when cleared included the use of fire to remove the biomass and to kill
the
seeds and roots of the native Veg. This also burns the soil carbon and
kills
the soil biota.

In a natural Oz bush land, there is a thin layer of leaf litter/ mulch
on the
surface and a humus rich (but often thin) layer of top soil. This is
neutral to
slightly acid and suited to the germination and early growth of the
typical
native species. But fire will destroy this and leave an inhospitable
alkaline
seed bed which will stop most species from growing.

We are currently doing research on Eyre Peninsula that we hope will over
come
this. We are doing well in the acid soils and now have to transfer this
to the
alkaline soils.

Gil