Dear Peter and Merla,
First to you Merla, good luck with your peace vigil. All change starts from
an individual basis and the more that you threaten the status quo, the more
resistance that you will find.
It is easy for someone who is not part of a society to look from outside,
view what is happening and then prescribe some magical formula which is
going to fix all of  that society's ills. However there appears to be one
common element in all change against tyranny and aggression, everything
changes, there is an impermanence in all things..

There is a feeling of powerlessness to change the system that is permeating
many cultures and societies. Hindu teachings have tried to reconcile this
struggle between the two aspects of creation, Vishnu [preservation] and
Shiva [destruction]. It is the constant interplay between these two forces
which eventually keeps everything in balance. Powerlessness is the point of
equilibrium that contains the potential to go whichever way we as people
choose to start the pendulum swinging. Everything that we do is added to the
potential of changing events from one direction to another. in the end what
matters is how we as individuals live our lives, and our relationships with
everything around us.
Everything in the Universe is recycled, even ideas. The same themes keep
turning up through history.  Listen to a politician, what he/she says is
that which has proved successful in the past for leading the sheep to
slaughter. Dont be led by the bell wether to wherever they want to take you.
Rudolph Steiner saw when he developed the concept of the BD preps that the
time would come when the food did not carry the forces to manifest the
spirit. Many of the in the world can be bought down to two things,
1]Faulty nutrition in the food, and
2] Failure to assimilate the nutrients in the food.
Fortunately in BD we have some of the tools which can help to overcome these
influences. All that we have to do is hold our own lines in the war for the
minds and hearts of the people.
Regards
James