>I sure am curious why you are happy to have a break from the spader. I've
>only had one for this season, but am glad not to be tillering.
>Unless you need the walking tiller for small areas, you could pick up a
>new/used pto tiller for less $ than the walkbehind.
>I have used the pto tiller for skimming a large sod surface before mulching,
>because of the easier shallow-depth control/cut of the tiller.

It's probably a personal problem, but I was not getting the depth of
fracture that I expected from a spader. The tiller won't do better,
of course, but I think it will do as well. By the time we come to
actually creating soil structure, I expect to be off the tiller and
back onto the hand tools. As Bruce Blevins used to say 'The only
excuse for bringing petro into a BD garden is to find a way to get it
out and keep it out.' In otherwords, start with power but evolve to
handtools