Title: Re: Tillers

hmm, I rented a troybilt sickle mower a few years back. (not twenty
then, either) and happily mowed an acre of johnson grass mixed with
datura and amaranth. Like butter.

well as ron wrote <but that sickle bar will
shake and rattle you to death! Keep a wrench handy;>

What are you recommending as a tiller width? I could live with 3ft
wide beds but I don't know that I could horse around a 3ft wide
tiller. And if I did, at what horsepower? (9hp?)

Mine is 32" and the 9hp worked well  and the 12hp no better but my soils are great to pretty good.( we have spader in a barter for planting this year and spoiled does not fill out the praise the Linda has expressed at the beds & ease etal.)

This does bring us to where my mind went this evening.
Would you be better off & more in keeping with  threefolding by contracting for chisel or even subsoil tilling of 3' beds. Then get a quality mower to keep the paths & landscape set for work and as Hugh L. saz -  feeding worms-.

We here in the Us set such a huge value on purchasing equipment to "do it ourselves".
What do we loose? Who did we fail to bring into our sphere ... .
I find more & more, the contacts born of need as well as synchronicity pay a hundred fold over outlay.

Just a meditation I had.

L*L
Markess