The biodynamic CSA I belong to, the Temple-Wilton (NH) Community Farm, has
been in operation since 1985 and provides 100 families with vegetable and
dairy products. We have 60 families on the waiting list and have only 1 or 2
openings a year, a retention rate of 98+

Commendable! Temple-Wilton is one of the original and one of the great CSA's in the U.S. You're lucky to have the opportunity to join them, Richard.

For we upstart CSAs, waiting list tend to turnout to be pretty unreliable, also. People who wanted to join in July of last year may have got on the list and then found another CSA, lost interst, or moved. Relocation is a continual liability in the Washington, DC area, as you may well expect. -Allan