Per--

I echo the advice to get a good soil test.  Then
follow recommendations of someone who knows how to
read it.  Taking advice from local farmers can
(doesn't have to be) hazardous because most of them
farm conventionally and don't have the same concerns
that organic growers do.

For example, I followed similar advice from local
growers to apply lime several years ago.  The problem
is that applying the local lime intensified my out of
whack calcium/magnesium ratio.  I am still struggling
with this problem.   I am spraying fish, compost tea
and using lots of mulch as one way of responding to
these problems.

The hardpan interferes with your vine root growth.

Adding wood chips might be great, but it can tie up
the N in your soil until they decompose.  This could
slow your vine growth while its going on.

Several months ago someone on this list posted a link
to an article from a Candadian University about
chipping twigs and small branches from deciduous trees
and using this as a soil fertility booster.  As I
recall, the concentration  of N in these wood chips
prevented the problem of slow decomposition. I would
like to try this, but it would require another piece
of expensive equipment. :<

Dorothy