Roger Pye wrote:

> The fact is that the freedom of speech enjoyed in some countries is
> either completely missing in others or being degraded.  Ditto Abraham
> Lincoln type democracy.

Hi Roger,

In the rest of your post you point out what I think is the key
fact---whatever you write and send out onto the internet gets reviewed.
Password protection will not keep Big Brother from seeing it, although it
might keep your Nosy Neighbor out....as well as honestly curious seekers.

So, I guess where we are at is creating an illusion of security, which would
then create an illusion of comfort, followed by an outpouring of genuine
good counsel, previously held back out of fear. Does that sound reasonable?
Maybe....;-)

I can't let the crack about 'Abe Lincoln democracy' go uncommented.
Democracy was under serious attack in Lincoln's time, from many quarters
including Lincoln himself. The threat perceived in the North of slavery
being imposed everywhere in the Union, and of being extended to white
people, was pitted against the threat perceived in the South of the complete
extinction of their 'peculiar institution' and the way of life it supported.
The collapse of the Missouri Compromise, the bloody battles in Kansas, and
the Dred Scott decision paved the way to the election of Lincoln and the
secession of South Carolina, followed by other states as armed measures were
prepared.

In the bitter, bloody conflict which ensued, civil rights did indeed suffer
under Lincoln, as political opponents were arrested and habeas corpus
suspended.

In fact, it might be said that what Bush is doing is a form of 'Abe Lincoln
democracy' rather than its opposite.

However, I do not endorse the perversity of those defenders of the 'peculiar
institution' who could decry the 'tyranny' of Lincoln whilst insisting on
their own 'right' to keep 4 million Africans in slavery, and, if they had
won the day, to impose African slavery throughout the United States and its
territories. For that is what the Confederacy stood for; that was its
cornerstone concept.

These issues are still quite alive in American politics, of course. See the
Trent Lott comments, which cost him his Senate majority leader status; see
the film 'The Gangs of New York'; go into Georgia and South Carolina and
whisper the name 'William Tecumseh Sherman' to a white audience, and you
will still be able to elicit some howling...

So 'Abe Lincoln democracy' is not a term without controversy....FYI.

it?

Probably at least part of the problem is that my introduction to biodynamics
came first through Rodale and Pfeiffer, and only second through Secrets of
the Soil and beyond; I am probably canalized to be sure, looking at
ascertainable and independently verifiable data as a proper jumping off
place, rather than believing entirely in what seems to me to be a rather
loose, 'quasi-magical' version of the story....

I like getting the arithmetic right and knowing what scientists outside the
'biodynamic' circle are saying....it seems to me these were the sorts of
things Steiner set Pfeiffer on his path to do, which resonates with what
Greg Willis has said in his recent post...

I think if we want 'BDNOW!' we'd best have either the mentor system Allan
talks about, or else a program where people can get irrefutable physical
evidence of the kind Willis discusses, so that we can put 'Steiner remedies'
on a scientific basis that even skeptics must accept.

Doc Ingham has done some work of this type, but much more should be done. It
should be thought of as crucial to the whole task, to find a way to initiate
people in the validity of the remedies so that it can be repeated and
demonstrated in classrooms, workshops and field trials globally.

If that can't be done, then perhaps the rest of the world is right to
dismiss Steiner along with Thun as mere perpetrators of myth.

As far as losing a job because of one's expressed views, here's a tale to
impress anyone:

http://www.normanfinkelstein.com/id118.htm

I am sorry Allan had a bad experience in the job market. But, to cave in to
fear is not really the answer.

I hope his foot is feeling better,

Frank Teuton