Eric:
Ive been wanting to use this too, but held off because of engine-damage
concern.
Another factoid which i found thru Google :
because of the increased solvency/chemistry of the biodiesel, there was a
chance of dislodging any petro-diesel clumps which might be clinging to tank
walls or tubing,... and might clog up the injectors. I think this is in
addition to "coking".
I had planned to run Bidi this season exclusively. (i get a headache every
time i catch the downwind from the tractors, and i'm assuming that will
change when i switch to bidi with much fewer toxic particulates) .
There has been a toronto company advertising for the past year for delivery
of bidi locally.(Mostly for bigrig companies) I just dont know yet if
they'll deliver a drum, or i can pick it up.
My understanding is that it is not practical below freezing because of
gelling. (That's ok for most farmers'seasons anyway.)
Is that  another reason for suggesting preheating?
And, are you saying that coking is inevitable without preheating?
The vendors don't mention any alterations required to use bidi. Again, i
don't know their mix ratio.
What proportion diesel/bidi would be correct to avoid the pre/post idle and
heating which you mention? If i can avoid running an extra fuel-tubing coil
through a preheat location, it would be preferable...especially since
tractor's aircooled.
Thanks for any further info....   .manfred