Hi Liz,
          I've done a bit of peppering in my time. Just lately its been
trying to persuade your dear possum friend to return to Oz. I haven't had
the need to work with snakes yet.
           The main task is to reverse the fertility. To do this one needs
the sense organ for reproduction, the skin. The burning part might be looked
at from two angles,
1. Carbon is only one of the elements of organic chemistry and life, see
lecture 3, Agriculture, by Steiner. Carbon is the anker that holds the
Oxygen, Nitrogen and Hydrogen together. When those three have been driven of
you are left with what might in this circumstance be described as the death
element.
2. one could look at it from the aspect of process. The fertility process
goes through a moist or watery stage then through a warmth or fire element
stage. When this process is disrupted by bringing two fire processes
together the whole thing goes into reverse and anti fertility is produced.
3. This process can be a prop through which one can comunicate with the
higher being like the group soul and perhaps the elemental beings that guide
these organisms, to make a humble request that a certain space be free of
their presence for a particular purpose. I have observed that feelings of
hate or strong dislike are most unhelpful. We must respect their integrity
and their right to occupy some of the Earth.
            If you are just wanting to protect quite a small space there is
no need to potentise the ash. One can mix it well with some sand or dry soil
and sprinkle it lightly over your garden and yard. When we did the arial
drop of steep bush country near Thames, we mixed about 100 grams with seven
tonnes of sand and spread it at two hundred Kg. / Ha. My partner in this
trial has abot 70 acres of similar country just along the coast a bit. He
walked round the perimeter of his place and every 20 meters threw a handfull
of the mix each way. Nearly four years later he still has no possums but his
neighbour has had to treat them again. They used bait stations and those
placed closest to the treated boundary remained undisturbed.
              I hope these few words helps you to come to a decision of what
is best for you and your land.
Regards,
Peter.