Hi Liz,
If you look in your manual from the Albury Workshop you will find the whole
peppering article there!
Dont worry about the timing, seeing as it landed on your doorstep - burn it
on a root sign as soon as possible. 9-11 March.  You could have just burnt
it whole, put it in a camp oven and put the lid on. Cook till blackened and
burnt right way through and dry.  Bit smelly. If you do it in the backyard,
the smoke will help with the job. You could do it on the plough disc with
lid over a good wood fire (not gas if you can help it)
Then when cool, take it out and place some or all of it in a mortar and
pestle and grind till smooth. Maria Thun says one hour, I just dowse to see
when it is done.  If you just want to put out the ash, then mix the ground
ash with sand or sawdust, something rather innert, about a bucketful would
do for a snake, and then sprinkle around the yard maybe working from the
inside in a spiral so you dont trap any inside.
If you want to keep some, use the potentising instructions in your manual.
Dowse to find correct potency for your land.  I keep the leftover ash in a
sealed jar, labelled and dated. If you potentise it, keep some of the lower
potency as well as the full potency required. Then you have plenty if you
need more for next year or for friends.
If you have one of Peter Ruehmkorffs modules, then you could just place the
ash on the inlet plate and dial your potency and then send to the map of
your area to be treated or make up a remedy and spray out!
RE timing of peppers.  Even though the Venus in Scorpio is meant to be the
best time, many have found that using the time that the pest drops itself on
your doorstep is the best time.
Let us know of your results,

Best wishes,
Cheryl Kemp