Dear Lloyd,
I agree with you that after 20 years of having input from Alex maybe the farmer in question was so used to being spoon fed that they could not think for themselves.
My take on the whole situation is that BD is a great tool for creating soil fertility, however the system as proposed by RS. was only a work in progress. Unfortunately he died before he could finish it. The work will never be finished as a complete integrated system. There is always further work  to be done, but the further work cannot be called Biodynamic. What we have now is a farming system based on the teachings and thoughts of Rudolf Steiner. What Steiner taught has as many interpretations as there are anthropops. Each person will accept some of the RS ideas, while rejecting others. I find that there are even many people who espouse to following the teachings of  Steiner but who dont use the preps on their gardens eve if they have a garden these days. One way to see the potential of BD is to use it in the vege garden along with compost teas and Cosmo fertiliser.
It is the additive inputs that make BD work.
You could probably say that  it is BD that has the potential to make organics work. To me it is just part of the years work to put the horns down and put out the preps.
Dear Hugh

Thanks for an interesting note - your mexican friend is obviously enjoying his success.
I think the major problem with the old guard in Australia was one of communication (lack of it) , that disenchanted farmer that I quoted said " Alex wont address the problem", it should have been up to the farmer himself to recognise the problem in its early stages and to do something positive about it himself, and after twenty or so years as a practicing, certified, Biodynamic producer he should have been equipped to do that without needing to call on the services of the master.
Striving for certification is part of the problem - there are rewards for organic certified produce - but I think only isolated opportunities for further premiums (above organic) from Demeter and then only for restricted quantities and specific situations.
Our newer (Biodynamic Agriculture) organisation has taken a more open and educational position and many farmers are learning to do things for themselves. There will be more mistakes made for sure, but learning always involves mistakes.
If the traditionalists manage to take over that organisation (and its likely, politics being what it is ) then there are enough of us free thinking loonies on the outside to carry things forward whatever happens.
I believe that homeopathic remedies and what I term low level radionics - field broadcasters, potentiser instruments, (and probably some of the paper based systems),  combined with dowsing and basic soil remineralising are the way of the future for agriculture. Energy farming!
I sure have met some interesting people in the last few years!
Cheers all
Lloyd Charles