I resolved my issue by installing and using Ubuntu 13.04 on the BBB. It's
been up and running the python scanning script for over 24 hours, which is
roughly 23 hours longer than it has before. I used the instructions
at http://shrkey.com/setting-up-beaglebone-black-to-boot-off-the-microsd-card/
to get the installation squared away.