A few more updates. I've read in a number of other locations that this
might be due to a grounding issue or a power draw issue. Starting with
tackling the power draw issue, it appears that the system bus outputs
different power to the USB device depending on its CPU throttling status.
The lower the CPU speed, the (slightly) lower the USB output.

Still using Ubuntu 13.04, I've removed both the S99ondemand startup script
from the rc2.d folder, as well as placed the line "

echo 'on' | tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/power/control" in the
/etc/rc.local script (no quotes) to try and mitigate the issue. The former,
from what I understand, keeps the CPU running at full speed, and does not
let it slow down based on demand, the latter works to keep USB power on to
the port at all times, rather than letting the BBB decide whether to power
it off/on.

At this point, the BBB has not thrown any more Babble errors through
multiple power off/on events, nor through any extensive scanning or quiet
time.

Of note, there may also be some merit in the grounding issue, as walking
across the floor and then touching the BBB case will occasionally cause the
Babble issue to appear and the Symbol device to power off. The device is
connected to a DC power supply, but there is no grounding plug with the
brick, so it stands to reason that the device is not grounded.

Hope this helps someone... although I'm sure that at this point I have no
concrete solutions to the problem.