As far as I know trying to remove a device tree overlay while the BBB is
running the OS will always cause a crash.

In order to remove device tree overlays, pass the appropriate parameters to
the kernel via uEnv.txt / uboot

Such as : optargs=capemgr.disable_partno=BB-BONELT-HDMI,BB-BONELT-HDMIN

Except of course use the device tree overlay name you're trying to unload.

However I get the sense you really do not care about this specifically and
would possibly like to tweak a device tree overlay file ( make changes etc
) remove and then reload the modified version. Unfortunately I do not think
this is possible without a reboot.