So close...

I had an old PC sitting around collecting dust so I formatted that to
Ubuntu 12.04.  I re-did everything from that machine.  Before I started,
when I plugged in the SD card that I had setup from the Win7 machine into
the Ubuntu machine it seemed to mount the two partitions fine ... but it
also gave me a pop-up error message about not wanting to mount the drive
for some reason ... even though I could see both parts.  Anyways, it did
this each time I mounted the card.  After I reformatted the card with the
beaglesnes image that message has no longer come up.  I have mounted the
card several more times too.

At first it did not work.  Then I took it out of its Adafruit
case<http://www.adafruit.com/products/1555?gclid=CNGJv-2J3rsCFVLxOgodcRsAeA>and
tried.  Then it would boot up, give me music, and let me scroll through
the placeholder's in the default config.  I am certain I tried this before
but it did not matter.  I quickly realized that the molding on the cable
needed to be cut down.  If I had read adafruit's page closer, I might have
caught that note.  Not happy about that, but it worked.  I think that I had
both a cable problem and a Windows problem, but maybe it was only a
cable/case problem and I didn't do something else write the time I tried
that with the Win7 SD card setup.

I have been at it for a while today, but the problem now is that it will
not select the games I've added in the menu.  I have tested the controller
on the Ubuntu machine and can see the start and select buttons do
register.  I have been doing everything in the Ubuntu machine.  The
pictures are showing up, the text descriptions are updated.  At first I had
5 games listed so I tried adding 5 more.  Each time the menu list updated
as expected, but pressing start or select doesn't do anything.  The roms
are all in the rootfs/home/ubuntu/beaglesnes/rom folder.  They are all
.smc.  I even removed spaces and tried shortening the .smc file names.

I'm only using one controller.  I can't really think of much else to try
right now.  Again, I welcome any support.  I attached my games.cfg file if
that helps

10
Alien vs Predator
AlienPredator.smc