Silly question, but you have your BBB plugged onto the CAPE in the correct
orientation when the BBB is switched off.... right? then power it on...?
Rather than hot plugging it...

Jumpers, you need to have both connected/closed if you are using Android,
but in any position if using Linux I believe.

May be something wrong with your one. Contact who ever you purchased it
from and request a RMA.