Nothing - everything is fine!

Actually (as posted) the partitions have the SAME checksum (the one of the
SD that boots, and the one on the eMMC which does not) - that said: being a
"dd" copy they should be identical...

So it seems to me as if there is an issue with some sort of pre-boot loader
hangs instead...

One observation that I see is that when I abort u-boot and switch to mmc 1
- it first complains about a timeout and then it seems to be able to access
it...

Martin