I am trying to figure out how to create a kernel for the BBB that supports
PREEMPT_RT. It's kind of strange that the BBB's default kernel does not
even have PREEMPT activated. Such a board doesn't fit to many embedded
applications where we need at least some kind of determinism. It is even
worse, that nobody seems to care about this problem. Contrary to that, the
Raspberry PI's standard kernel has PREEMPT activacted from the very
beginning.

I have tested Robert Nelsons kernel 3.8.13-r9
(https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel/tree/3.8-rt). It does not have
PREEMPT_RT activated by default. When doing so, it does not boot. But
activating PREEMPT does work. However, development of this branch has
stopped several months ago. The official source for RT Linux (3.8.13) has
evolved since then. Meanwhile there's an rt17 patch set
(https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/3.8/). Did anybody
give this a try? Does it work with the BBB?