That's because your phone uses a sane filesystems that takes into account
this use case and isn't writing constantly (write one byte, the disk writes
a whole erase block). This doesn't protect you from eventual disk
corruption. The wear leveling bad-block type tables will eventually
corrupt/run out of memory loooong before your disk space is eaten by bad
blocks.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2010/12/ext4-filesystem-hits-android-no-need-to-fear-data-loss/

"Most Android devices currently use YAFFS, a lightweight filesystem that is
optimized for flash storage and is commonly used in mobile and embedded
devices."

My production Beaglebone image does not support this.

"Developers who are accessing the filesystem directly will have to be
mindful about Ext4's buffering behavior and make sure that the data is
actually reaching persistent storage in a timely manner so that it won't be
lost in the event of a system failure."

It is now an issue with Android!

"T'so says that there isn't much need for concern. Google and the handset
makers will catch platform-level filesystem reliability issues, ensuring
that the high-level storage APIs are safe."

Is the API you use for disk writes safe? Nope.

-Brandon