My BeagleBone part of a primitive robot with a breadboard strapped to the
top, and servo motors underneath. The wifi dongle was between both. For
this reason, I dug out my unpowered USB hub and used it as an extender to
get the wifi dong'e away from all the metal. I powered the beagle bone with
an external power supply and remoted into it via usb. I was able to get the
Adafruit dongle to connect to my secured home network 1 out of three times
this time around as well as a secured hotspot hosted by my phone. This was
better than the netgrear wna1100 which was only able to connect to the
secured hotspot (not my regular home network). Neither was able to connect
to an unsecured hotspot. Attempts to connect via wifi also seem to cause
the BeagleBone to freeze up frequently. Any ideas?

Also, it would be really handy if the default user was root (like on
Angstrom) so that I didn't have to type sudo su before most terminal
commands. This would also allow me to open files more easily. I'm guessing
this would also allow the user to reboot and shutdown the beaglebone,
options which are missing from LXDE at this point, and which cannot be
execute from the command line using the debian user.