On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 12:54 AM,  <mbbac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My BeagleBone part of a primitive robot with a breadboard strapped to the
> top, and servo motors underneath. The wifi dongle was between both. For this
> reason, I dug out my unpowered USB hub and used it as an extender to get the
> wifi dong'e away from all the metal. I powered the beagle bone with an
> external power supply and remoted into it via usb. I was able to get the
> Adafruit dongle to connect to my secured home network 1 out of three times
> this time around as well as a secured hotspot hosted by my phone. This was
> better than the netgrear wna1100 which was only able to connect to the
> secured hotspot (not my regular home network). Neither was able to connect
> to an unsecured hotspot. Attempts to connect via wifi also seem to cause the
> BeagleBone to freeze up frequently. Any ideas?

The is problem with the default 3.8 kernel, if your not using any
cape's switch to the 3.13.x based kernel

cd /opt/script/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --beta-kernel

> Also, it would be really handy if the default user was root (like on
> Angstrom) so that I didn't have to type sudo su before most terminal
> commands. This would also allow me to open files more easily. I'm guessing
> this would also allow the user to reboot and shutdown the beaglebone,
> options which are missing from LXDE at this point, and which cannot be
> execute from the command line using the debian user.

There is a default root user (no password like Angstrom) we just don't
log into that user via lxde.

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/