On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:47:39 AM UTC-6, Gregory Holst wrote:

> So I did a little searching and found some help in the documentation for
> the processor http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/spruh73j/spruh73j.pdf on page 880.
>  It shows a formula for the frequency but I don't understand the M and Ns.
>  It has something to do with the phase locked loop and creating a super
> high frequency clock using some fancy circuitry and I really just need to
> find the default values of M and N to confirm that the output will be
> around 24Mhz.  Can anyone interpret this documentation to give me a better
> idea of what I can expect on the CLKOUT pins on the beaglebone black?

Gregory,

You can probably use the 24.576 MHz output of the HDMI oscillator that is
available on P9 pin 25. The oscillator is enabled by GPIO 1-27, so you can
enable using this output it even if you have disabled the HDMI output for
some reason. It should be enabled by default.

If you use this oscillator output, you can't use GPIO 3-21 since they share
the same expansion header pin.

HTH
Dennis Cote