On Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:08:02 PM UTC-6, Gerald wrote:

> I see. One of those commercial guys. I thought so.

You say that like it is a negative thing. I can almost hear the sigh
afterwards.

I don't understand your resentment of commercial users.

You have done a masterful job designing a board with lots of CPU power, and
flexible I/O. You then decided to build the board in large volume to push
the selling price as low as possible. The design is open and well
documented so it is easy to work with. It is also well supported by both
the community and TI. The same features that make it appealing to your
hobbyist audience also make it appealing to potential commercial users.

I understand that some commercial users have put a strain on your
production capacity, but you are selling through distributors like Avnet,
Arrow, Digi-Key and Mouser that primarily deal with commercial customers.
These customers expect to be able to buy products from them in volume. If
you had only sold through the likes of Adafruit, Sprkfun, and Jameco I
suspect you would not have had this problem, but the BBB also wouldn't be
the successful product it has become.

I suspect that you may resent commercial users for making profits off your
design without paying you directly for it. This is the same issue faced by
anyone doing open hardware or software development. IBM has made a lot of
money selling Linux systems without paying the Linux developers for their
software. On the other hand IBM has contributed a great deal of expert time
and effort to Linux development. I think a similar thing is happening with
the BBB. TI provides a lot of support to the Beaglebone community to
encourage the adoption of their Sitara processors in commercial products.
Given the good design, relatively low price, and direct support by TI, some
of those commercial users will chose to use the BBB. They do so because
they can't build their own custom board for anywhere near the cost of the
BBB, principally because of the volume production. But that production
volume is, in large part, supported by those very same commercial users.

Perhaps the BBB is, or was, under priced as some have said. I think it will
still be a good value at $55. I don't think things would have been much
different if the original price had been higher, unless it was so much
higher that it was no longer attractive to the hobbyist users either.
Hobbyist weren't running out to buy the TI EVM boards before the BBB became
available, because they simply cost too much.

I also think that you will get a lot of community support from commercial
users in the long run. I try to answer questions on the forums when I can.
I am still learning myself, so I try to refrain from answering unless I
know the answer. Commercial use means there will be users who have HAD to
get things to work, and they will be able to guide others through their
struggles with the same issues.

I know this is getting somewhat off topic, but I thought it was worth
saying. Commercial users aren't inherently bad guys.

Dennis Cote