On Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:51:36 AM UTC-6, Gerald wrote:

> No. If they were connected, they could be used. They do not require the
> PRU to drive them.

Can you explain how the hardware is setup to assign these UART pins to
either PRU or the CPU?

I have been looking through the TI TRM and AM335x datasheet, and at the TI
Pin Mux Utility trying to figure this out. The TRM has very little to say
about the PRU.

The fact that I can have the CPU drive UART0 on one set of I/O pins and the
PRU driving PR1_UART0 on a different set of I/O pins seems to imply that
UART0 is not the same peripheral as PR1_UART0. So how do I setup the
PR1_UART0 pins to connect to the UART0 signals? The Pin Mux Utility shows
them as separate peripheral interfaces.

It turns out that using the PRU might make sense in my application. To do
this I would have to abandon using the AM335x I2C peripherals and add some
SPI to I2C bridge parts to drive the I2C connected peripherals, but I
suspect that would involve a lot of custom driver development to allow
these bridged I2C buses to operate like the standard I2C buses. I would
also have to develop some kind of IPC link between the CPU and PRU.

Dennis Cote