> actually, for lack of hitting send immediately, I'm using the
> https://rcn-ee.net/deb/flasher/wheezy/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-15-2gb.img.xz
> image and it's pretty sweet.  only a couple hunderd MB used with lots of
> space left (as it should be).  The network even works with dhclient
> preinstalled and running on eth0 so it gets assigned an address on my
> network via dhcp and I can ssh in.  Couple things I noticed as being
> different though.  first off one has to login as Debian:temppwd (no root
> login, and password required),

Yeap, out of the box it's a little more secure via personal
preference. The beagleboard.org image has root enabled by default to
help transition people from Angstrom..

You can get root back by:

sudo passwd root

(to disable)
sudo passwd -l root

I blanked out the root password, ssh, sudo/etc via:

https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/target/chroot/beagleboard.org.sh#L456

> sudo must be used (which one should probably
> do anyway), and reboot/shutdown/halt/poweroff are all missing (probably for

They exist, it's just that a normal user doesn't have /sbin/ in the
path, i patched the bb.org image with:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/mods/debian-add-sbin-usr-sbin-to-default-path.diff

So, "sudo reboot" works, but "reboot" doesn't.

> lack of the systemd package) so the only means to reboot the machine is via
> pulling the power plug (or possibly pressing reset which I didn't think of
> until just now....) both of which require physical access to the machine.

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/