well after:

 sudo apt-get install bluetooth bluez bluez-tools lm-sensors festival bzip2
wireshark zip alsa-oss oss-compat timidity pmidi ffmpeg mplayer sox mpg123
fluid-soundfont-gm fluid-soundfont-gs less screen bash-expansion
configure-debian

as well upgrading the kernel

I still actually have space left to play within 2GB.  some of Debian's
dependencies can be quizzical at best and increase bloat, such as why in
the heck did the above install samba?.....  oh, well.. at least it can now
share files with poorly secured windows boxen in strange and unknown
places, lol.

Eric